Tango establishment was founded by Phajo Drugom Zhipo after he meditated on the horse-headed deity Hayagrīva or Tadrin. The rock under which he meditated has the shape of the horse head and the place was later known as Tango, meaning horse head after this rock. The monastery in this place was founded by Bhutan's fourth Desi, Tenzin Rabgye in 1688 corresponding to the Earth Dragon year of 12th rabjung cycle after building the main temple of Tango. Today, it is the location of the premier institute for Buddhist studies under the State Monk Body.
- རྟ་མགོ་དགོན་པ། (Dzongkha, Tibetan script, Original)
- rta mgo dgon pa (Dzongkha, Latin script, THL Extended Wylie Transliteration)
- Tango Monastery (English, Latin script, Translation)
Place ID: F69882